Saturday, April 9, 2011

Delivery

I got mail!!  Aww, mail is one of life's greatest underappreciated joys, in my opinion.

We don't have individual mailboxes here at my apartment building. The maintenance man, Sou Milton, acts as mail courier, delivering mail to our apartments and sliding it under the door.  If you receive a box, he waits until he sees you and then brings it up.  Apparently, he was so excited to get it to me, that he stalked Leonardo's parking space in the garage, to know when we were home.  He likes having Americans in his place.  He thinks we are fun.

Anyway, my box was packed full with great things like pictures, notes, a camera, delicious new shampoo.   And knitting needles!!!  And new glasses!  Oh, I was absolutely squealing.
Thanks, DAD!

And the rest of you fine folk, feel free to send me something.  I'll  make you a mixtape.




Yesterday, I was riding the ônibus home from school and an old lady sat down next to me. 
Now, old ladies are the worst. They never know how to slow down their sentences, and have total disregard for your ineptitude.  You can't play the 'não entendo' card with them.  They just continue to abrade you with more involved, faster versions of the same question.

She was old. She was lost. She needed help and she wouldn't be quiet.
I tried to pawn her off on the girls next to me, but she was persistent.
Long story short, I saved the day... in Portuguese!  She made it to her destination. 

Because I gave her directions. 

Because I knew my way around downtown. 

And because I speak Portuguese.

Kindof.

1 comment: